Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Illegal Substance FAQs

Q: I was caught in the same vehicle where an illegal substance was found. It was not mine, and I was unaware that my friend was distributing — will I be charged?

A: Generally, this depends on the arresting officer and the testimony of the friend who owns the vehicle.

Pretrial Diversion Program FAQs

Q: What is pretrial diversion?

A: Pretrial Diversion is a program where a client admits guilt for the offense in exchange for an agreement that they will stay out of trouble for a period of time, perform class, community service, pay restitution if property damage or theft.  If these requirements are completed with no new cases picked up 6-12 month period the case will be dismissed and the state will waive the statute of limitations so you can expunge your case or have your records sealed as soon as the pretrial diversion is completed.

Q: Am I eligible?

A: Usually if your case does not involve a victim our firm can give you a treatment plan or a list of classes/courses, and a list of things you can do to make yourself a better candidate for Pretrial Diversion.

Bond Release Process FAQs

Q: Is an attorney able to get my loved one out of jail in Travis County?

A: Yes, I use my relationships that I’ve cultivated with judges and prosecutors in this county to get them to agree to release my clients out of jail based on our promise that we’re going to get you to court, we’re going to get you a treatment plan, we’re going to get you to work the case so that the judges trust us and know that we’re going to a good result and the judges will let you out of jail on a personal recognizance bond.

Q: What is a personal recognizance bond?

A: A PR bond is your promise to appear in court and if you do not appear then you get sued for the bond amount of the case.  A PR bond can include conditions such as curfew and electronic monitoring.


Q: What are some ways my DWI charge can get reduced?

A: If your blood alcohol level is under .15 and there wasn’t a collision involved, and the necessary classes are taken, the state is usually willing to reduce the charges to an obstruction of passageway.

Assault FAQs

Q: Is an electronic monitoring device required in a domestic violence case?

A: Whether you’ll be on a monitor as a condition of bond depends on the severity of the offense. A higher bond amount and a victim who is not supportive of your release will normally mean that there will be a monitor. If the victim is supportive of release, the judge might still require a monitor if there is a history of domestic violence or violent crime(s).

General FAQs

Q: What is the difference between a protective order and a restraining order?

A: A restraining order is something that comes out of a civil court. In comparison, a protective order is normally filed in criminal court and is sought in a separate court hearing by the state and the victim.  An emergency protective order is a 60 day stay away order that can often include a provision where you are allowed to have contact – as long as the contact is not threatening or harassing.  A general stay away order is where there is no contact allowed period, and this is often due to evidence that family violence has been committed or will be committed in the future.

Q: I have an outstanding warrant, how can I get it taken care of?

A: You can call our office, and we’ll have you come down and fill out a blank personal bond.  Once this is completed, we’ll get the bond signed by a judge. The next step is meeting someone from our team at the courthouse to sit with you in the bonding office for the duration of the walkthrough process.  Once everything is finished, you get a court date, and we then begin fighting your case.

For more information about Texas criminal law and associated legal situations, including degrees of charges and applicable penalties, visit our blog page.

Reach Out Today

The legal experts at GHC Law Firm represent the people of Travis County in all areas of criminal defense. Contact us for a free consultation today, so we can determine how to help you protect your legal and constitutional rights – and find the justice you deserve.

Contact Us.